February 13, 2012

SEASHELLS FROM THE SEASHORE

When our family was in Pensacola, Florida nearly a year ago (March 2011) for Kyle's flight school graduation, my Dad and I walked up down the beach collecting seashells!  Excluding the oyster shells, which are from Cooter Brown's Tavern here in NOLA, this is what my Dad and I ended up with.... 


I had seen seashell art for sale on Etsy and decided to make my own.  I ordered a hot glue gun and a few sheets of silk and linen grass cloth from Amazon.  I did a couple trial runs of different designs and decided I liked these 2 the best....



Symmetry was key!  So after my practice runs, I finally started to glue each shell to the grass cloth.  It took longer than I expected and I certainly burned my fingers a few times.  But I was happy with the finished result....



Now I needed to find 2 frames and my little seashell project would be complete!  Of course I turned to IKEA.  If you're a regular Blissful on the Bayou blog reader, you know how much I love IKEA.  Their Ribba frame, a white shadow box for only $19.99, worked perfectly.



Here is the finished product.  I just need to find a spot to actually hang my creation.  Our house is feeling beachier by the minute!



No comments:

Post a Comment