October 6, 2013

CITY PARK

Well, Karen never came.  Time to put away the Pop-Tarts and SpaghettiOs.  Maybe it rained some throughout the night while we were sleeping?  By the time we woke up though, it was nothing but sunshine and blue skies.  J and I decided to go on a quick bike ride through City Park before he started his CPA studying.  After the bike ride we stopped at Morning Call for beignets and iced cafe au lait.  The breakfast of champions!  It was great sitting outside with J and taking in the scenery.  Sounds like a lovely morning, right?  It was.  Up until the very end.  That's when I took a tumble on my bike at the intersection of Carrollton and Orleans.  A fairly busy intersection for you non New Orleanians.  The tumble wasn't that bad.  My skinny bike tire got stuck in the streetcar line groove and I kind of fell in slow motion.  In addition to the 15 or so cars stopped at the intersection, there happened to be a firetruck full of firemen right next to me.  Yes, the firemen witnessed it all.  They kindly stuck their heads out the windows to inquire whether or not I was okay.  Mortified, I nodded that I had survived the fall.  Apparently, there was also a homeless man who witnessed the incident.  He proceeded to follow me across the street and angrily yelled I was committing suicide by not using enough bike lube.  "My tire got stuck in the streetcar line," I tried to tell him.  But there was no arguing with the fella.  "Suicide," he kept yelling at me.  I smiled, thanked him for his advice, and kept on moving.  J was with me the whole time by the way.  I was never in any danger :)  And for his part, he did not laugh when I fell.  A difficult feat I imagine.  His main concern was that I didn't break anything.  I have a habit of doing that you know.  So, to sum it up... first 95% of the morning = awesome and last 5% = pretty embarrassing.  Time for some pictures...

J

This is where Brad Pitt dances with Cate Blanchett in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  Remember that scene from the movie?  It's the City Park Peristyle.  We've known 2 different couples that have gotten married here.


Thought this was a pretty cool reflection on the water.

Me

Morning Call

Hot beignets for breakfast!

Almost home....

1 comment: