November 30, 2011

GOBBLE GOBBLE

So you may remember that my Thanksgiving turkey from last year looked like it came straight out of Clark Griswold's kitchen. While I'm a huge fan of the National Lampoon's Vacation, European Vacation, Christmas Vacation, etc., I would prefer my turkey not remind people of the infamous family dinner scene. Well, I am happy to report I did a smashing job in the kitchen this year! With a little help from my Mom and J, the only casualty was a few burnt rolls. Success! We ate turkey, ham, chicken and sausage gumbo, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, (burnt) rolls, orange cranberry dressing, olive oil roasted cauliflower, cheesy corn and grits pudding, green bean casserole, crawfish rice casserole, oreo ice-cream pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and apple-n-praline pie. Everything was delicious but my favorites were the mashed potatoes and cheesy corn and grits pudding.

Thanksgiving was extra special this year because not only did my brother Kyle join us from San Diego, but my parents flew down from Chicago. With our family spread out all over the country, I'm always incredibly thankful and appreciative of the time I do get to spend with them. My other brother Benjamin and his wife Alisha were in Arkansas with her family for the holiday but we'll get to see them at Christmas in California. J's sister Jacqueline was in Georgia with her fiancĂ©'s family and J's parents were in Tennessee. See what I mean about all over the country?!

J and I have an abundance of things to be thankful for this year. Our relationship, our family, our friends, our church, our health, our education, our jobs... We really have so much and are so fortunate. I look forward to the blessings God has in store for us. We hope everyone had a special (and yummy) Thanksgiving with their friends and family!


Walnut is so happy to see Daddy again!

J, Daddy, and Kyle snacking and hanging out until Thanksgiving dinner is ready.

My first attempt at homemade gumbo.

My turkey!  A little dry but completely edible (unlike last year).

The feast.  We ran out of room on the table for the turkey and gravy.

Me and the desserts.

The alligator at City Park's Celebration in the Oaks.  We went the day
after Thanksgiving and had a great time looking at all of the lights.

Great family friends... Mr. Pat, Mrs. Barbara, Mom, & Daddy at Celebration in the Oaks.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow!! You cooked all of that by yourself? Impressive! And I guess I should've taken you up on your offer to mail me some after all ;) it looks great!

    -Corrianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corrianne! You missed out, huh? The offer always stands so look out next year. Turkey and all the trimmings via UPS :)

    ReplyDelete