January 23, 2011

DOES CARROT CAKE COUNT AS A SERVING OF VEGETABLES?

J has been on a health kick lately and he finally got me to join the club. Our meals last week consisted of fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains, and water. Also known as the "Daniel Fast."

“In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”  Daniel 10:2,3

We have both been completely faithful to the diet for 7 days now.  Meanwhile, it has been difficult to subside the cravings for Port of Call cheeseburgers or the yearnings for cowboy rib eyes from Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse.  Heck, I think we would be overjoyed with a Buck Double from Burger King at this point.  I'm drooling right now by the way.  So while I wish this Daniel Fast could ultimately be a way of life, I think it's going to be more of a weekday thing and weekends will be a free for all!

I do want to share a "Daniel Fast" recipe with everyone.  It's an easy, delicious and healthy soup that was able to fill J up (no easy feat).  Adding shredded chicken and a dollop of sour cream would make the meal even tastier.

GEORGE'S HOMEMADE CILANTRO SOUP
  • 2 bunches of fresh chopped cilantro
  • 10 large carrots chopped
  • juice of 1/2 squeezed lemon
  • 15 brussel sprouts quartered
  • 1 large sweet onion chopped
  • 8 cups chicken stock 
  • 4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 large can tomato or pasta sauce
  • 1 or 2 fresh jalapenos chopped 
Add all ingredients to pot
Bring almost to a boil
Then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour

Not only have I been eating healthy for the past 7 days but I've also been exercising.  You can go ahead and pick your jaw up from the floor now.  I was such an excercise-aholic in high school and then never again.  What happened?!?  In high school I used to go to the gym at least once a day, sometimes twice a day, and would run a mile or two around the neighborhood in the evenings just for fun.  J found a great FREE app for our iPhones called RunKeeper that has helped me get back into the swing of things.  Yes, FREE!  And we love it!  I think the company should make their slogan "RunKeeper Rocks!"  You can pretty much use it for any outdoor activity... walking, jogging, running, skiing, snowboarding, road biking, mountain biking, hiking, etc.  The app tracks your route, distance, and calories burned among other things.  And did I mention it's FREE?  If you have the iPhone, download it today.

And speaking of iPhones, I dropped mine and broke the screen.  I actually happened to be using the RunKeeper app when it slipped out of my hands.  AT&T charges way too much to fix the screen ($199) so J found a do-it-yourself kit for $8 that we are going to try.  Hopefully my little baby will be up and running in no time.  You never realize how much you use and depend on your phone until you suddenly have to go without.



No comments:

Post a Comment